“Want to” vs. “Decide to.”
Happy New Year! Wishing you a wonderful 2023!
As we move further into 2023, many of us are likely engaging in changes we want in our lives. Sometimes we have a long list of things we want to do or change. Sometimes we have just one, two, or three big things.
No matter what you have in mind, ask yourself this: “Am I wanting to make these changes or am I deciding to make these changes?”
Wanting to make changes is more like being interested in making the changes. When we want something, we have a desire or wish for something. It seems like a good idea. It doesn’t require any action to want something or be interested in something.
When we decide to do something, it requires us to follow through on a course of action. Deciding is saying, “OK, I’m going to do X” and that’s a pretty firm commitment. Commitment requires action.
How do you know if you just “want to” vs. “deciding to”? If you have some ideas of changes you’d like to make, think about each thing and see how it lines up with the “want to” or the “decide to” thoughts below.
“Want to” thoughts (you allow things to get in the way of your goal):
- My boss gave me a tight deadline, so I can’t go to the gym today (goal is to exercise every day)
- I’m too tired to meditate this morning (goal is to meditate every morning)
- It’s too cold to go for a run today (goal is to run 4x a week)
- I deserve to have this treat because my day was so stressful (goal is to eat less sugar)
- I just finished a big project so I’m treating myself to a purchase (goal is to spend less)
- I don’t feel like it today
- This is too hard
“Decide to” thoughts (your goal is your priority):
- I’m going to do this today no matter what
- This is worth it even if it’s hard sometimes
- I can do hard things
- I’m choosing to make this a priority for me today
- Even though it’s cold out, I’m still going to do it today
- This is important to me so I’m going to stick with my plan
Your turn: What do you want to do or be better at in 2023? What new results do you want to create for yourself? Are you ready to decide what you’ll do to make changes in your life? What would happen if you don’t make the change(s) you say you want to make? What would happen and who would you become if you did make the changes you want to make?
Subscribe if you want to receive this content directly in your inbox.
Work with me: Want to see how self-care is transformative and can help create a more meaningful life in which you start committing to yourself and show up the way you want? I can show you how. I offer first-time seekers a complimentary 45-minute exploratory session. Sign up here.
What’s on your mind? It can be powerful to learn from each other and our common struggles when it comes to our practice of self-care–or just being a human being. If you have something you’re struggling with and would like some perspective, share it here. Your issue may be chosen and addressed in the next post–it’ll be totally anonymous.